This week,I started reading Calico Joe. It's mostly about Warren Tracey (A mets picher) son named Paul Tracey who like Joe Castle who plays on the Cubs. His father ended Joe's career after beaning him in the head with a fastball. The book goes back and forth from when Paul is a kid and having very little time with his father, and the time spent with him was used in an abusive way. And when Paul is an adult, and married with kids, and finds out Warren has terminal cancer and only has a couple of more months to live. Paul decides before his dad dies, that he wants Joe and Warren to talk about what happened between them.
I think through out this book, Paul shows a lot of determination. For example, when he was a kid and his dad hit him after not pitching "properly" in one of Paul's youth baseball games, Paul didn't go run and cry to his mother or anyone. And he didn't want to leave the house until his black eye faded. I think that this shows a lot of determination because Paul could've cried over it and other things but instead he just acted natural.
Another point where I think Paul shows determination is when he finds out his dad has terminal cancer. I think by this point, Warren realized that he raised his son wrong, but Warren also didn't try to do anything to fix it. He just let the years pass without having any contact with his family. Warren tried to use having cancer as an excuse to get sympathy from his son but Paul showed determination and didn't fall for it.
One last point where I saw Paul showing determination is when Paul traveled repeadedly to Arkansas just to try to set up a meeting between Joe Castle and Warren Tracey.
In conclusion, there are many points in Calico Joe that show Paul Tracey is a determined person. I have not yet finished the book, but I think that there will be other points where Paul shows determination.
No comments:
Post a Comment