This book took place in the 24th century, in which no one reads books anymore. in fact, it is illegal to own books. Everyone in Fahrenheit 451 is tech savvy. For example, people have seashell like radios that they can listen to throughout the day and they rely on virtual medical systems to save lives. I wouldn't want my life saved by a robot, would you? In this book, technology dominates society. Literally. One day, when Clarisse finally made Montag, the main character who is a firefighter, understand how much of a negative impact technology has on the people. He is ready to change his life when atomic bombs destroy his city and Montag is ready to start a better life, vowing to use less technology.
Technology is a problem in this book that leads up to what I think is an even bigger problem, censorship. I wonder why it became such an issue and a problem to obtain books. In the book it states that books slowly lost there place and the futuristic people started to become offended by types of books.
The job of a fireman would be to go to houses where books have been spotted and burn them. If the owner refuses to leave, they usually die as well. Clarisse questions his job twice in the book and both times Montag gives a different answer. The second time, I think he did realize that his job is just a little bit weird and that it's not at all right.
Why isn't his job "right"? What is Bradbury trying to say?
ReplyDelete