Monday, September 10, 2012

My Life In Black And White -- Finished July 8th

In the book "My Life In Black & White"   Ryan seemed like the perfect boyfriend.  Alexa loved him SO much.  She trusted him.   One way I know she trusted him is because when she was scared of riding his bike down a fast hill, Ryan rode with her.  He made her feel better when she was crying at the end.

Alexa trusts Theo and likes him because he went through a similar traumatic experience and doesn't care that "her butt is stapled to her face".

In the book, Alexa caught Ryan cheating on her with her best friend, Taylor. She freaked out and just wanted to leave, getting in a car with Taylor's drunk brother, Jarrod.  Jarrod tried to kiss her, causing Alexa to freak out causing Jarrod to ram into a tree at 55 MPH.  Alexa only remembers flying through the windshield and blood pouring down her face.  When she wakes up in the hospital she finds that her beautiful face is torn to shreds and she has to get a graft, from her butt.  

During her recovery, Alexa decides that she is super mad at Taylor and Ryan and will never forgive them.  Alexa feels that her life is over because her looks are gone.  She doesn't want to attend parties, school, or see her friends.  She feels that she can no longer presume her life as a normal, pretty teenager who plays field hockey with her best friend and has make out sessions after school with her boyfriend.  Alexa no longer cares about her weight or looks because she feels she can never be pretty again so she starts borrowing her older sisters (no-fashionable) clothes, eats junk food more 3X more than she used to, and basically spends her life as a hermit. 

Finally, her sister, Ruthie, connects to her and persuades her to get back to school.  Kids constantly make fun of her and she tries her best to ignore it.  One day it just got to be too much and she found herself busting into the Darkroom, meeting this kid named Theo.  Alexa lurns a lot about Theo and they hang out a lot and go boxing together after school.

One night, at a school dance, Taylor got drunk and allowed boys to take off her clothing and photograph her.  Alexa stopped them and took care of Taylor bringing her home to her father.  Alexa thought she did the right thing but Taylor got mad because her father grounded her for 4 months.  Taylor, refused to return to school because someone posted the picturess online. 

Eventually Taylor, Ryan, and Alexa work out there issues and all become friends even though Ryan and Alexa don't go out any more.

I think that Theo really helped Alexa.  I think this because he did a couple of things.  One thing he did was constantly compliment her and never be mean to her.

Another thing he did was comfort her and talk to her about his sister who died from an eating disorder.  They found a common hobby through boxing and Alexa's sister, Ruthie.  (Theo and Ruthie were both seniors)


On the back of the blurb the author wrote "If you lost the one thing that defined you, who would you be?" and right now I am going to try and answer that question.

First things first, what defines me as me anyway?  Well, I think everything defines me.  My personality and my looks.  The way I dress to what I like to eat.  My likes and dislikes, EVERYTHING.  Majorly though it's a tie between my personality and my looks.  For this example lets go with personality, an opposite of what Alexa lost.

If I lost my personality, I would have no definition.  At first I would be lost, and not know where I stand.  I would feel misplaced.  I would not be me anymore.  If I lost my personality, I think I would confused as to what I would do.  I would be different.  But I think I would work to overcome my loss, and find a new me.

No comments:

Post a Comment